Monday 1 March 2010

Double knitting - how I do it - continued

The tablet-weaving pattern used for the scarf in my last post is a traditional Finnish pattern, and actually quite complicated to weave on cards.

There is however another easy method to vary patterns in tablet weaving. Commonly you turn the bundle of cards in one direction several times, inserting weft after each turn; then you turn it back in the other direction for the same amount of times for a certain pattern. You get variations of patterns by varying these turning points.

That’s what I’ve adapted when I completed my scarf. It’s exciting to see the variations emerge that you get by this.



It’s difficult to take a picture of a long piece like a scarf; I hope the result is visible enough here.





Here is the chart again; this time I’ve numbered the rows of the charts.





Here is the sequence I used that shows the turning points, but other sequences are possible. I don’t include the original basic pattern part:

Chart row 14 –9, 9 –14, 14- 12, 12-14, 14-6, 6-10, 10-1, 1-5, 5-1, 1-9, 9-6, 6-12, 12-9, 9-14, 14-12, 12-14




No comments:

Post a Comment