Friday 26 November 2010

Surprises November 2010

My yarn has arrived. I’m again so pleased with it and surprised how great it turned out despite the fact that I hadn’t sorted the fleeces as thoroughly as last year. It has a more creamy white than last year. I suppose, as with wine, every year’s crop is different. I also had ordered 2 kg scoured and carded only, to see how that feels, and to do a bit of spinning myself. And I got 4 kg dyed in a beautiful new raspberry colour.

There was also a nice surprise in my inbox this week, and I’m pleased to announce that two of my newer works will be on show in the Open Art Christmas exhibition in the Leitrim Sculpture Centre in Manorhamilton.. The opening will be at 1 pm on Friday, 10th December. They are very different to the little hearty tapestries that were on show in the Solas Gallery; being based on my structural patterns, not on double knitting

I also was attending four more sessions of the Landing in Leitrim poetry workshop. A great experience again, with a surprising outcome that will be revealed at the Christmas Market at the Dock in Carrick-on-Shannon which is on from 5 to 9 pm on Friday, 17th, and from 12 to 5 pm on Saturday, 18th December. It looks as if there will be a nice variety of stands there, so those from the area: don’t miss it.

Here’s what was on my crochet hook in the last few days, not without reason. Surprise, surprise.







And before I forget: The winter edition of Lavendelschaf will be out soon; it contains my instructions to make “Sterntalers”. I called them Sterntalers having in mind a short fairy tale by the Grimm brothers:
A poor orphan who has nothing left except a piece of bread goes out into the world. She gives away her bread, her hat, her vest, her skirt and blouse to others in need. As the stars fall as silver coins from the night sky, she finds herself wearing a new, fine linen shirt, which she uses to collect the star-coins.

But there is much more in this edition, of course.
See a preview here.
And I’m really sorry I missed out on this: Rosita Sweetman asked me to contribute “something about Mary”, a symbol of the mother principle, the caring, the female, NOT the religious, for an auction. She had started a collection of these works with a drawing of a Madonna by Shane McGowan. But it was too short notice. I would have liked the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment