Thursday 1 January 2009

A Stitch a Day (1st January)


Let me wish all of you a happy new year.

And I hope that Ceci is happy that she was randomly chosen as the contest winner, Ceci, please contact me at chheineATiolfreeDOTie with your address, so I can send out the two skeins of yarn to you. Please put "amazedknitter's contest" in the subject line.

I've just started to work at my stitch patterns again. I've got a great new camera for Christmas, and it took a while do find out what I can do with it. And then find out which features I will not want to use. One of my first shots was this fellow who is always waiting for the bits of barley he gets from the sheep's feed at this spot:




I also started researching the net for pattern and ornament related information. I do find better information now after I looked through a book about ornaments I own, and jotted down names, titles and works I want to search for.

I've stumbled about the following story by Lewis Carol again, which I just like:

“That’s another thing we’ve learned from your Nation,” said Mein Herr, “map-making. But we’ve carried it much further than you. What do you consider the largest map that would be really useful?”

“About six inches to the mile.”

“Only six inches!” exclaimed Mein Herr. “We very soon got to six yards to the mile. Then we tried a hundred yards to the mile. And then came the grandest idea of all! We actually made a map of the country, on the scale of a mile to the mile!”

”Have you used it much?” I enquired.

“It has never been spread out, yet,” said Mein Herr: “the farmers objected: they said it would cover the whole country, and shut out the sunlight! So we now use the country itself, as its own map, and I assure you it does nearly as well."
Sylvie and Bruno Concluded, 1893

Below is an easy pattern for the start of this year. The order of the stitches in the chart looks pretty random, doesn't it? But it isn't. I do make the order of the stitches always for the flat version. Anyone sees the order in these 16 stitches?


No comments:

Post a Comment